Banquets chef must have a TEAM first mentality; Responsible for overall banquet food operation to ensure quality and quantity. The ideal Chef candidate should have a good working relationship with the Banquet Manager and Captains and should be in direct communication constantly to ensure counts are proper. Assists in the lowering of food cost and waste. Responsible for the return of food.
- Responsibly directs the work of the employees in the Banquet Department. Manages and trains all banquets kitchen staff. Will be required to manage staff 51% of his/her time.
- Using creative skills, banquet chef will be required to prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Collaborates with Executive Chef to create dishes, menus, and standards utilizing invention, originality and imagination.
- Manages the checking in of all produce, dairy, poultry, seafood, meats to assure quality and delivery is complete.
- Responsible for proper ordering of product, scheduling staff, updating staff with any changes.
- Attend BEO meetings to ensure guarantees and food products are correct. Must communicate all guarantees and food changes to the Executive Chef, Garde Manger section and Pastry.
- Knows, trains and complies consistently with all standards of portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Manages staff to maintain proper stocking of sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Manages portion sizes of food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Manages staff to maintain a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment to city/state standards.
- Works under pressure and long hours standing.
- Ensures proper handling, labeling, and storage of products, rotating properly
- Assists and manages prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Ensures proper kitchen closure and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Uses and trains proper knife cuts with consistency.
- Works one to two days ahead of his operation to ensure product delivery is on time and to make sure on his days off anyone covering has what they need to operate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or manager-on-duty.
- Ensuring procedures are followed when dealing with all safety and security issues are concerned. Train and develop kitchen staff on weekly topic.
- Inspect, correct and oversee all potential cleanliness and health codes that could lead to a violation of the California Health Code.
- Establishes production levels and inventory controls to help manage food costs and offer solutions.
- Makes and cooks selected food items and plan or price menu items with Executive Chef permission.
- Control PAR level and food expense with Executive Chef.
- Issues oral and written disciplinary warnings; Enforces company policies.
- Controlling flow and distribution of merchandise, materials, food and supplies leaving the kitchen.
1.A minimum of 4 years of experience in high paced kitchen preparation and cooking.
2.At least 3 years’ experience in a similar capacity.
3.Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel.
4.Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
5.Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 12 hours).
6.Must be able to follow printed recipes and plate specifications
7.Must maintain personal hygiene in accordance to California Health Department standards for Food Service Employees.
-Flexible and long hours are sometimes required
-Heavy work – Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 50 pounds of force frequently and /or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
-Ability to stand during entire shift
-Ability to withstand temperature variations, both hot and cold.
**The company’s employment policy is “at-will”. Under the “at-will” policy, neither you nor the company is committed to continuing the employment relationship for any specific term. (Refer to employee handbook for details).
Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
238 Room Hotel
AVENUE OF THE ARTS COSTA MESA, A TRIBUTE PORTFOLIO HOTEL
As a Tribute Portfolio hotel, we break beyond the typical hotel experience with eclectic arts-inspired design, inventive culinary creations and an ideal location in the Theater and Arts District close to fashion-hub South Coast Plaza. We celebrate the very best in human expression. And by doing so, create the perfect space to be the very best expression of yourself. Beyond captivating design, enjoy social scenes and sincere service dedicated to helping you make the most of every moment.