JOB OVERVIEW: The Accounting Manager is responsible for providing consistent leadership in the financial area of the hotel by supplying the accounting staff with guidance and training. He/she is also responsible for focusing on the profitability of the business, maintaining accurate and timely financial reporting, ensuring acceptable levels on internal control, ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations, and safeguarding owners/investors assets.
- This position has 3 direct reports.
- You will be responsible for supervision of employee performance and developmental coaching.
- This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- Interview, hire, process references and new hire paperwork to company standard for all accounting staff in compliance with state and federal laws and company policy.
- This position sets specific goals and objectives for all the employees supervised. Establishes and communicates performance criteria to all employees. Establishes and reinforces specific performance goals with subordinate employees and provides timely feedback.
- Formally reviews and evaluates performance goals and objectives on a regular basis of all employees under your supervision.
- When appropriate and needed, disciplining and creating performance improvement plans for employees, and when necessary terminating employees under your supervision for performance related issues.
- When appropriate and needed to maintain proper staffing levels for all operating departments.
- Manage accounts receivable staff for timely and efficient collections of receivables. Train staff as needed.
- Manage accounts payable staff to ensure invoices, audits and checks are processed for weekly approval and signature. Train staff as needed.
- Scheduling accounting staff within Budgeted levels.
- Communicate with team members both verbally and in writing to answer questions and provide clear direction in advising and instructing staff in details of work, policies and procedures and Internal controls.
- Manage and oversee all Accounts Receivable functions, including the credit process, client interaction, billing, and collection calls.
- Ensure credit applications are reviewed and verified to support granting direct billing priveleges.
- Ensure the A/R aging percentages are current and in compliance with SOP.
- Verify credit cards are processed every night by night audit.
- Verify cash deposits are made timely.
- Ensure all credit card inquiries and disputes/chargebacks are responded to in a timely manner.
- Assist with Balance Sheet Reconciliations
- Review any problem accounts with Assistant Controller and adjust entries to the general ledger.
- Coordinate and conduct monthly credit meetings.
- Supervise, direct and support accounts receivable staff.
- Support Assistant Controller in timely preparation of monthly financial statements for the property
- Assist in the preparation, monitoring, and accurate recording of hotel revenues. Identify all variances to budget and last year.
- Under guidance of Assistant Controller maintain timely interaction with Department Heads to assure that property operations are on track and under control at all times
- Preparation of monthly bank reconciliations and general ledger account reconciliations for the property
- Supervision of accounting staff members
- Compliance with Wincome Hospitality Accounting Policies and Procedures and internal controls for our finance and accounting operations
- Effectively manage and communicate issues related to management of receivables, payables, daily cash balances, and timely deposits of all funds.
- Monitor hotel revenues and expenses and ensure the accurate recording in accordance with Wincome Hospitality’s established guidelines. Investigate and critique variances to budget or to prior year and offer practical improvement methodologies to management.
- Analyze financial data and operations in order to assist Controller and advise Department Heads in maintaining the hotels' financial objectives.
- Assist the Assistant Controller to hire, train, supervise and develop staff, including coaching, counseling and discipline.
- Preparation of any special reports, statements, etc., as requested.
- Other special projects and responsibilities as assigned.
- Perform all accounting functions in the event assistance is needed.
- Effectively plan in order to meet demands of both guests and staff.
- Assist in Producing Financial Statements within designated time frame for preliminary distribution to hotel management and to meet Wincome Hospitality requirements.
- Verify compliance with Finance Standard Operating Procedures.
- Participate in and critique asset inventories.
- Maintain records storage area in compliance with record retention requirements of relevant government agencies.
- Preparation and knowledge of sales tax returns, as well as any other applicable tax liabilities.
- Insure to comply with all pandemic health criteria imposed by Company, City, State and Federal mandates and ordinances.
Management of Department
- Identify, screen and attract management candidates from outside the company.
- Train associates in job responsibilities.
- Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
- Perform any other job related duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of Hotel Financial Statements and reconciliation of Asset and Liability accounts.
- Analytical approach to problems with high regard for detail and accuracy
- Sound administrative and managerial skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, advanced Excel skills
- Have proficient training, coaching and counseling abilities
- Command of the English language both written and verbal.
EDUCATION & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- 4-year bachelor's degree in Accounting, or related major preferred.
- 3+ years in Hotel/Resort Finance and Accounting.
- Hotel industry work experience, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, advanced Excel Skills.
- Have proficient training, coaching and counseling skills.
- Must be able to work days, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to type 40 WPM.
- Must be able to walk for long periods of time
- Must be able to sit, walk, bend and stoop throughout day.
- Frequently use hands for keyboard and arms to reach.
- Valid driver's license required
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Able to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
We participate in E-Verify