JOB OVERVIEW: Receiving involves numerous details and a watchful, organized team member to follow the standards. As a Receiving Clerk, some of your duties will include ordering, stocking, and rotating product. You will assist with creating and maintaining inventory pars, as well as maintaining a neat, clean, and organized storage room. You will help team members with locating product, creating purchase orders and taking special orders for events. This role also orders and is responsible for the requisition process internally for all departments.
- Use a written purchase order documenting: Vendor, item description, unit of measure, amount ordered and received, date order placed and expected delivery, order placed by, received by, date received and temperature/weight check if applicable.
- Check that the temperatures of refrigeration and freezer units on the vehicle are at the correct temperatures: at or below 4 degrees C (40 degrees F) for refrigeration units and below -18 degrees C (0 degrees F) for freezers.
- Make sure the temperature of your cooler is between 32 F and 40 F.
- Adhere to all OSHA and HACCP food handling standards.
- Once the delivery has passed inspection, food should be stored immediately using the "first in, first out" method.
- Pull old stock to the front and store the new stock behind it in order to ensure proper rotation.
- Maintain separation between administrative duties: The party who places a Purchase Order should be separate from the Receiving Clerk, the Receiving Clerk should be separate from Warehouse personnel and Inventory Control, and again from the accounts payable personal. This avoids collusion with a vendor.
- Maintain accurate scales at receiving area to confirm weight. Make sure there is not excess ice with fresh (i.e. broccoli, poultry) or frozen foods (i.e. shrimp and seafood) which can affect the weight.
- Be sure to have a pallet swap policy to avoid unnecessary pallet fees.
- Before accepting any substitute product, clear the substitute item with the purchasing department.
- Adjust the invoice for any short ships or delivery refusals. It is better to avoid paying an invoice in full and instead wait on a credit that might've been missed.
- Check temperature-sensitive products (frozen, vegetables, meats, dairy, etc.) to be sure they arrive in proper temperature.
- Inspect all boxes and products for damage. Reject products with broken boxes, torn bags, strange odors or undesirable freshness.
- Check expiration dates and proper shelf life.
- Implement and maintain stringent cleaning protocols for loading dock, storerooms, refrigeration, and equipment.
- Store refrigerated and frozen products right away.
- Be sure chemicals are not delivered on the same pallet or in near proximity to food service supplies or other food products.
- Check that the delivery vehicle is clean. Reject the shipment if the vehicle is dirty or if there is evidence of pests (mouse droppings, cockroach casings, cockroaches, flies, etc.)
While performing the duties of this job it will require to:
- Must be able to tolerate temperature changes from hot to cold and cold to hot.Must be able to tolerate noise and vibration and a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, working on scaffolding and high places.
- Must be able to tolerate atmospheric conditions, such as fumes, orders, dust, mists, gasses and/or poor ventilation.
- Sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl occasionally.
- Frequently use hands for keyboard and arms to reach.
- Heavy work Lift up to 50lbs of force and push up to 100lbs
- Light work - Frequently lift and move up to 20lbs.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a receiving clerk preferably in Hospitality.
- Must be able to read, speak and write in English.
- Knowledge and understanding of the hospitality industry, purchasing policies and procedures.
- Proficiency working with various computer programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Birch Street and internal requisition process.
- Proven record of organization, detail-oriented, and able to make productive and efficient decisions.
- Preferred experience with Avendra or similar purchasing platform.
We participate in E-Verify