The Pastry Chef directs and oversees the production in the Pastry Kitchen which includes the creation, decoration and presentation of cakes, pastries, breads, ice cream and chocolates. The Pastry Chef works closely with the Executive Chef and other Chefs to create and develop the pastry items for all hotel menus.
Pastry Chef Responsibilities
- This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- This position has approximately 9 direct reports.
- You will assist as necessary for the supervision of employee performance and developmental coaching together with the Executive Chef.
- Interview, hire, process references and new hire paperwork to company standard for all culinary staff in compliance with state and federal laws and company policy.
- This position sets specific goals and objectives for all the employees supervised. Establishes and communicates performance criteria to all employees. Establishes and reinforces specific performance goals with subordinate employees and provides timely feedback.
- Formally reviews and evaluates performance goals and objectives on a regular basis of all employees under your supervision.
- When appropriate and needed, disciplining and creating performance improvement plans for employees, and when necessary terminating employees under your supervision for performance related issues.
- Maintain proper staffing levels for department.
- Schedules direct report staff.
- Reviews with managers indirect staff schedules on a weekly basis to ensure business needs and budgeted levels are being met.
- Communicate with team members both verbally and in writing to answer questions and provide clear direction in advising and instructing staff in details of work, policies and procedures and internal controls.
- Provide timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly associates on service and operational standards; including feedback on even the smallest of service and operational details.
- Schedule needed labor in Pastry kitchen to meet business needs and stay within budget.
- Order food products according to business demands and establish par levels.
- Create recipe cards and support development of all menus to meet standards.
- Support other kitchens when needed.
- Ensure all Covid 19, Eco Sure, HD and HACCP standards are being strictly adhered to.
- Responsible for the proper sanitation and cleanliness of all kitchens and food preparation areas, including ovens, grills, stoves, hoods, fryers, preparation slicers, steam kettles, tables, and floor
- Directs immediate staff in Pastry kitchen and promotes excellent communication and teamwork with all other Chefs, culinary staff and other hotel departments.
- Operating and managing the pastry section of the kitchen and liaising with the Executive and Sous Chefs to ensure a successful working environment.
- Preparing ingredients and handling baking and other kitchen equipment.
- Creating pastries, baked goods, and confections, by following a set recipe.
- Developing new recipes for seasonal menus.
- Decorating pastries and desserts to ensure beautiful and tasteful presentation.
- Meeting with customers to discuss details and planning of custom-made desserts and pastries for special occasions, such as weddings.
- Monitoring the stock of baking ingredients.
- Ordering new supplies, ingredients, and equipment for the pastry section, when needed, and within budget.
- Ensuring their section of the kitchen adheres to safety and health regulations.
- Supervising and training staff members, when needed
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
- Provides direction for menu development.
- Monitors the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Provides and supports service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service. Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters. Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- 2-3-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management or related major.
- Minimum of 3 years in hospitality as an experienced Pastry Chef in a full-service hotel.
- Proven experience in catering & banquets required
- Must possess a high level of creativity and high-quality standards
- Complete knowledge and understanding of the hospitality industry, purchasing policies and procedures.
- Proficiency working with various computer programs including but not limited to Micros and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven record of organization, detail-oriented, and able to make productive and efficient decisions.
- Should have prior experience with 4 Diamond rated hotel.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available to work days, nights, weekends and holidays.
While performing the duties of this job it will require:
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possible for one (1) hour or more.
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to four (4) hours in length.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other departments of the resort on a timely basis.
- May be required to lift trays of food or food items weighing up to 30 lbs. occasionally.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. frequently.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near and color vision and depth perception.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks occasionally.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
We participate in E-Verify