JOB OVERVIEW: Responsible for all Front Office functions and staff. Areas of responsibility include Bell Staff, Service Express, Guest Services, and Front Desk, Club Lounge. As a department head, directs and works with managers and employees to successfully execute all Front Office operations, including guest arrival and departure procedures. Works to establish a safe and secure environment for all guests and associates.
- This position has approximately 6 Manager direct reports and 30 hourly indirect reports.
- Direct the day to day operations of the Front Desk, Bell Staff, Service Express, Guest Services and Club Lounge.
- Responsible for supervision of employee performance, training and coaching.
- This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- Interview, hire, process references, including new hire paperwork to company standard, for all front desk staff in compliance with state and federal laws and company policy.
- Set specific goals and objectives for all the employees in the Front Office Departments.
- Establish and communicate performance criteria to all employees and reinforces specific performance goals with subordinate employees, and provide feedback.
- Appropriately disciplines and create performance improvement plans for employees, for any performance related issues.
- Maintain proper staffing levels for all operating departments according to the hotels’ business levels.
- Review with managers and staff the schedules on a weekly basis to ensure business needs and budgeted levels are being met.
- Communicates with team members, both verbally and in writing, to answer questions and provide clear direction in advising and instructing staff in details of work, policies and procedures.
- Provides timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly associates on service and operational standards; including feedback on all levels of service and operational details.
Maintaining Property Standards
- Providing Exceptional Customer Service.
- Handles guest problems and complaints effectively.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality by exemplifying excellent customer service and creating a positive atmosphere for guest and employee relations.
- Prepare employee schedules according to business forecast, payroll budget guidelines and productivity requirements.
- Work with the Front Office staff on all shifts and prioritize their work assignments.
- Processes payroll and is responsible for scheduling in line with the monthly labor budget.
- Assist in developing financial forecasts and actively participate in monthly profit and loss review meetings.
Managing and Conducting Departmental Activities
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Provides feedback to employees based on observation of service behaviors.
- Supervises employee’s ability to execute departmental and property emergency procedures.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently
Major areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Maximize room revenue and occupancy by reviewing status daily. Analyze rate variance, monitor credit report and maintain close observation of daily house count.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and at any time of day.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Ensure all in-house group activities, locations and times set and communicate to staff.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all hotel and departmental policies and procedures.
- Empowers associates to provide excellent customer service.
- Ensures on-going communication occurs in all areas of responsibility to create awareness of business objectives, awareness of expectations and recognition of exemplary performance.
- Assist in monitoring and developing team member performance to include, but not limited to, providing supervision, scheduling, conducting counseling and evaluations, providing professional development and delivering recognition and reward.
- Verify brand required and service programs are in place and executed properly.
- Communicates with key departments (Housekeeping, Engineering, Food & Beverage, Reservations and Sales and Event Planning) to ensure luxury / 4 Diamond guest experience from arrival to departure.
- Communicate closely with Housekeeping and Maintenance regarding discrepancies and ensure a luxury / 4 Diamond experience quality of rooms division.
- Respond to all guests' requests, problems, and concerns presented in person or through comment cards, letters and/or phone calls, in an attentive, courteous and efficient manner. Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Handbook policies.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing name tags.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
- Complete designated cashier and closing reports in the property management system.
- Count bank at the beginning and end of shift if used. Balance and drop receipts according to accounting specifications.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Experience in elevated guest service (4-5 Diamond, 4-5 Stars) highly preferred.
- Assistant Director / Director Leadership experience in large property (Rooms 600 +) highly preferred.
EDUCATION & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited University in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration or related major; 5 years experience in the guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
- Opening Hotel experience preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in supervising and leading an operations team to revenue goal achievement.
- Hotel industry work experience, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- Must be able to work days, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to sit, walk, bend and stoop throughout day.
- Frequently use hands for keyboard and arms to reach.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Director of Front Office 500+ room Hotel/Resort.
- Luxury Hotel experience preferred.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Able to communicate effectively in English; both verbally and in writing.
- Should be able to effectively deal with internal and external customers, collect accurate information and resolve problem.
We participate in E-Verify