JOB OVERVIEW: The Director of Housekeeping is responsible for ensuring the operation of the Housekeeping Department is run in an efficient manner, providing all guests with quality service and a clean and safe environment throughout their stay, while effectively managing department staff, departmental expenses and maximizing service levels.
- Manage approximately 4 Manager direct reports and 60 hourly indirect reports.
- Responsible for supervision of employee performance and developmental coaching.
- This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- Interview, hire, process references and new hire paperwork to company standard for all Housekeeping staff in compliance with state and federal laws and company policy.
- Sets specific goals and objectives for all the employees supervised and ensure all are met.
- Establishes and communicates performance criteria to all employees.
- Establishes and reinforces specific performance goals with subordinate employees and provides timely feedback.
- Formally reviews and evaluates performance goals and objectives on a regular basis of all employees under supervision.
- When appropriate and needed, disciplining and creating performance improvement plans for employees, and when necessary terminating employees under your supervision for performance related issues.
- Maintain proper staffing levels for all operating departments.
- Schedules staff to business levels and within budget parameters.
- Reviews with managers indirect staff schedules on a weekly basis to ensure business needs and budgeted levels are being met.
- Communicate with team members both verbally and in writing to answer questions and provide clear direction in advising and instructing in details of work, policies and procedures and internal controls.
- Provide timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly associates on service, operational standards, OS&E specifly; select and purchase, including feedback on all operational details.
Responsibility During Constructions Phase
- Set up all department SOP’s.
- Set up storage closets.
- Create recycling plan.
- Order and organize all department supplies.
- Research and recommend cleaning equipment which will aid in preventing work injuries.
- Set up training for all staff members.
Maintaining Property Standards
- Maintains accurate carpet cleaning logs and any other required tracking from Marriott.
- Walk all common areas and conduct room inspections to ensure property quality standards are in line.
- Responsible to review and approve contracts for overnight cleaning services.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
- Handles guest problems and complaints effectively.
- Trains and empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality by exemplifying excellent customer service and creating a positive atmosphere for guest relations and employee relations.
Major areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Primary duties include supervising the activities of managers, supervisors, line staff, and others on a daily basis in order to ensure all work is completed on time and to standard.
- Responsible to oversee and manage off site laundry service.
- Design, provide, and coordinate On-The-Job-Training for subordinates to attain brand compliance.
- Make routine daily rounds of the hotel at any time of the day performing random checks in all areas to ensure the expected hotel standard is set and continued. Immediately direct subordinates to correct issues found as needed.
- Develop and implement standard procedures for routine tasks to enable employees to develop consistent work habits.
- Reviews, approves and analyzes housekeeping budget and justifies funds requested on a regular basis.
- Maintain checkbook accounting as a responsible person for budgeting.
- Ensure and maintain cleanliness, service and product quality standards of guest rooms, public spaces, restrooms, offices and banquet/meeting/conference rooms in accordance with federal, local and company health, sanitation and safety standards.
- Establish inventory records and control of cleaning supplies, chemicals, and guest supplies, room/bathroom and linens etc. in order to control expenses and minimize waste.
- Involve employees in planning, effective use of "manpower" and guiding new methods, mechanical aids & products and to simplify Housekeeping work.
- Check on all equipment of the Housekeeping Department to ensure equipment is properly used to reduce cost and breakage.
- Order supplies and replacements as needed.
- Check physical condition of rooms in order to maintain highest room appearance and standards.
- Establish systems and controls in the Linen/Uniform Room and Laundry to ensure laundry services are of high quality for hotel guests, customers as well as laundering staff uniforms.
- Create and implement accurate schedules for employees to match business levels and manage payroll for the department.
- Train and develop staff for personal and professional growth.
- Monitor standards and work performance of all subordinates on a daily basis for brand service and training compliance.
- Plan and carry out budget while staying within budget guidelines.
- Manage team to strive to achieve and exceed guest service scores as required by brand.
- With minimal supervision, plan and carry out the duties (and additional duties) listed above.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with other departments as well as within the department.
- Responsible for keeping good morale and enforcing discipline and appearance of employees.
- Communicates with key departments (Front Desk, Engineering, Food & Beverage, Reservations and Sales and Event Planning) to ensure Luxury / 4 Diamond guest experience from arrival to departure.
- Communicate closely with Front Office and Maintenance regarding discrepancies to ensure a Luxury/4 Diamond experience quality in the Rooms Division.
- Leads special projects, as needed.
- Maintain a friendly and professional demeanor at all times.
- If mandated by law, brand or ownership the Director of Housekeeping will implement and train all Housekeeping Staff and monitor the usage of Hotel Panic Buttom system.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings.
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Handbook policies.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing nametags.
- Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Must be able to maintain confidential information.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
EDUCATION & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- 4-year bachelor's degree in Hospitality or related major preferred.
- 5+years’ experience as a Director of Housekeeping experience at a 500+ room Hotel/Resort.
- Should have prior experience with 4 Diamond rated hotel.
- Brand experience is a plus.
- Opening Hotel experience preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in supervising and leading an operations team to revenue goal achievement.
- Hotel industry work experience; demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- Must be able to work days, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to walk and sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to bend and stoop throughout the day.
- Frequently use hands for keyboard and arms to reach.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Able to communicate effectively in English; both verbally and in writing.
- Able to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
We participate in E-Verify