JOB OVERVIEW: The Executive Chef is accountable for the overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related operational functions. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality production. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all food preparation areas (e.g., banquets, room service, restaurants, bar/lounge and employee cafeteria) and all support areas (stewarding).
- This position has 6 direct management reports and approx. 24 indirect reports. You will be responsible for supervision of employee performance and developmental coaching. This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- Interview, hire, process references and new hire paperwork to company standard for all culinary staff in compliance with state and federal laws and company policy.
- This position sets specific goals and objectives for all the employees supervised. Establishes and communicates performance criteria to all employees. Establishes and reinforces specific performance goals with subordinate employees and provides timely feedback.
- Formally reviews and evaluates performance goals and objectives on a regular basis of all employees under your supervision.
- When appropriate and needed, disciplining and creating performance improvement plans for employees, and when necessary terminating employees under your supervision for performance related issues.
- Maintain proper staffing levels for department.
- Schedules direct report staff.
- Reviews with managers indirect staff schedules on a weekly basis to ensure business needs and budgeted levels are being met.
- Communicate with team members both verbally and in writing to answer questions and provide clear direction in advising and instructing staff in details of work, policies and procedures and internal controls.
- Provide timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly associates on service and operational standards; including feedback on even the smallest of service and operational details.
- It is the Executive Chef’s responsibility to lead service education and continuously offer a “Best Place to Work” through:
- Daily line-ups and regular department meetings;
- Ongoing development and training;
- On the job feedback
- Employee discussion and performance management including timely completion of performance evaluations;
- Coordination of timely food production and quality standards review.
- Work closely with Catering, Sales & Convention Services to support all sales efforts to include creating specialty menus when required (preliminary menus).
- Work closely with Director of Catering & CS when groups are contracted to ensure the smooth management of all events to include direct participation in resume & beo management, tastings and daily reviews.
- Supports Director of Banquets in all aspects of buffet room sets, functionality and serving flow.
- Work directly with clients who are in-house and contracted for future business to connect, build a relationship and create repeat guests.
Leading Kitchen Operations for Property
- Provides direction for all day-to-day operations.
- Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
- Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an "open door" policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
- Bring a high level of creativity to the kitchen in developing food menu items, concepts, displays, utilizing the best ingredients and practices in the marketplace, and to keep evolving ahead of the competition and industry, and to be a market leader in food service, restaurant & bar operations, event management and execution.
Setting and Maintaining Goals for Culinary Function and Activities
- Manages hotel-wide controllable expenses pertaining to food cost, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
- Develops and implements guidelines and control procedures for purchasing and receiving areas.
- Establishes goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Communicates the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes, ensuring employee understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes and procedures related to safety.
- Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
- Knows and implements the brand's safety standards.
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
- Provides direction for menu development.
- Monitors the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Provides and supports service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service. Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters. Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
While performing the duties of this job it will require to:
- Must be able to tolerate temperature changes from hot to cold and cold to hot.
- Must be able to tolerate noise and vibration and a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, working on scaffolding and high places.
- Must be able to tolerate atmospheric conditions, such as fumes, orders, dust, mists, gasses and/or poor ventilation.
- Sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl occasionally.
- Frequently use hands for keyboard and arms to reach.
- Heavy work – Occasionally lift and/ or move up to 50lbs of force.
- Light work - Frequently lift and move up to 10lbs.
- 2-3-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management or related major.
- Minimum of 5 years in hospitality as an experienced Executive Chef in a full-service hotel with 500 + rooms.
- 2-3 years’ experience managing a culinary operation with multiple outlets required: lobby bar, rooftop bar, must have high catering volume, restaurants etc...
- Proven experience in catering & banquets required
- Must possess a high level of creativity and high-quality standards
- Complete knowledge and understanding of the hospitality industry, purchasing policies and procedures.
- Proficiency working with various computer programs including but not limited to Micros and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven record of organization, detail-oriented, and able to make productive and efficient decisions.
- Should have prior experience with 4 Diamond rated hotel.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
We participate in E-Verify