The Assistant General Manager position functions as the primary strategic business leader of the property with responsibility for all aspects of the operation, including: Front Office, Bell/Valet, Guest Services, VIP Lounge, Housekeeping, Engineering and Security. While managing service revenue and non-revenue generating departments you will be responsible for general property performance, maintaining high standards of service and quality in all areas of the Hotel, guest service scores, employee satisfaction scores, managing profitability, managing revenue generation, and delivering a return on investment to the ownership. The position is fully responsible for performance in all key areas directly managed.
- This position has 4 direct management reports and 14 management indirect reports. You will be responsible for supervision of employee performance and developmental coaching. This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and applicable laws.
- Interview, hire, process references and new hire paperwork to company standard for all accounting staff in compliance with state and federal laws and company policy.
- This position sets specific goals and objectives for all the employees supervised. Establishes and communicates performance criteria to all employees. Establishes and reinforces specific performance goals with subordinate employees and provides timely feedback.
- Formally reviews and evaluates performance goals and objectives on a regular basis of all employees under your supervision.
- When appropriate and needed, disciplining and creating performance improvement plans for employees, and when necessary terminating employees under your supervision for performance related issues.
- Maintain proper staffing levels for all operating departments.
- Responsible for ensuring all department heads maintain budgeted productivity levels with all budgeted line items.
- Schedules direct report staff.
- Reviews with managers indirect staff schedules on a weekly basis to ensure business needs and budgeted levels are being met.
- Communicate with team members both verbally and in writing to answer questions and provide clear direction in advising and instructing staff in details of work, policies and procedures and internal controls.
- Provide timely, real-time feedback to management and hourly associates on service and operational standards; including feedback on even the smallest of service and operational details.
- Verify brand required and service programs are in place and executed properly
- Review and follow-up on property GSS scores and guest comments/feedback on a daily basis.
- Work with the front Office, Bell/Valet and Guest service Departments to create a culture of exceptional guest service standards and use creative ways to exceed guests expectations at every interaction.
- Create and support clear lines of responsibility for management team, including coverage and oversight throughout the day.
- Work with the Director of Engineering to implement thorough Preventative Maintenance Plans for all areas of the Hotel that work to maintain the high property standards daily.
- Work with the Director of Housekeeping to establish cleaning systems, protocols and standards to effectively insure that all areas of the Hotel are cleaned to a high standard, including guest rooms public areas (interior and exterior), meeting space, and Back of House areas.
- Walk the property to ensure public spaces and grounds, meet sanitation and cleanliness/maintenance standards.
- Manage the flow of labor between departments to support effective management of Labor Budget and achievement of profitability goals.
- Delegate responsibilities for operations and projects to associates to achieve set goals and timelines.
- Prepare for QA audits (i.e., daily and pre-visit activities).
- Measure, analyze, and communicate property performance using a variety of financial/non-financial data including controllable costs, sales revenue, guest satisfaction, and associate engagement data.
- Manage on-property controllable costs associated with rooms, housekeeping, events, and food and beverage operations.
- Initiate action to support property revenue and profitability goals.
- Update and communicate revenue,occupancy and profit forecasts to associates/managers.
- Review and sign off on invoices and create Purchase Orders when necessary.
- Prepare and review reports needed for month/quarter/yearned review (e.g., P&L, Scorecard, , PACE, marketing recap).
- Review property performance periodically with Corporate Controller and General Manager.
- Manage and participate in the hotel budget and forecast process.
- Conduct Income and House Bank Fund Audits. Ensure compliance to policy and all reporting dates are met without exception.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times. Monitor on-site team performance and deal with personnel issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Organize, conduct and attend all appropriate meetings to ensure proper coordination with department heads and senior leadership.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, audit shift, weekends and holidays as required.
- Ensure procedures are followed when dealing with all safety and security issues. Work with Director of Security to effectively implement a Safety, Security and Loss program that includes workplace safety, emergency response and loss prevention.
- Spend one on one time with each manager once a month to discuss key department issues, training and development.
- Schedule, oversee and follow proper departmental recruitment and training.
- Responsible for the continued operation of the Hotel, maintaining standards and accountability in the absence of the General Manager.
- AGM must participate in company events related to employees and community.
- The nature of your position is managerial with special emphasis on your being able to use your own discretion and good judgment with minimal help from your GM . You are requested and required to spend at least 51% of your time on supervisory, managerial and recruitment and staffing duties. If at any time you feel you are not spending 51% of your time this way, please immediately bring this to the General Managers attention.
Education & Physical Requirements
- 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major preferred.
- 5+ years in the role of Director of Operations/AGM
- 3+ years experience as an AGM/Director of Operations experience at a 500+ room Hotel/Resort Brand experience
- Demonstrated skills in supervising and leading an operations team to revenue goal achievement
- Hotel industry work experience, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
- Must be able to work days, nights and weekends.
- Must be able to walk for long periods of time
- Must be able to sit, walk, bend and stoop throughout day
- Frequently use hands for keyboard and arms to reach.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Able to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
We participate in E-Verify