OVERVIEW: Accurately and efficiently make hot/cold products as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Also perform other duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates. Ability to lead the team with proper decision making.
What you will be doing
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Checks in all produce, dairy, poultry, seafood, meats to assure quality and delivery is complete.
- Dedicated to providing exceptional food quality and service to our guests.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment to city/state standards.
- Works under pressure and long hours standing.
- Use of proper knife cuts with consistency
- Handles, labels, stores and rotates all products properly.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or manager-on-duty.
- Ensuring procedures are followed when dealing with all safety and security issues are concerned. Train and develop kitchen staff on weekly topic.
- Inspect, correct and oversee all potential cleanliness and health codes that could lead to a violation of the California Health Code.
The ideal candidate for this position
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in high paced kitchen preparation and cooking.
- At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).
- Must be able to follow printed recipes and plate specifications
- Must maintain personal hygiene in accordance to California Health Department standards for Food Service Employees.
- Flexible and long hours are sometimes required
- Heavy work – Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 50 pounds of force frequently and /or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to stand during entire shift
- Ability to withstand temperature variations, both hot and cold.
We participate in E-Verify
Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
238 Room Hotel
AVENUE OF THE ARTS COSTA MESA, A TRIBUTE PORTFOLIO HOTEL
As a Tribute Portfolio hotel, we break beyond the typical hotel experience with eclectic arts-inspired design, inventive culinary creations and an ideal location in the Theater and Arts District close to fashion-hub South Coast Plaza. We celebrate the very best in human expression. And by doing so, create the perfect space to be the very best expression of yourself. Beyond captivating design, enjoy social scenes and sincere service dedicated to helping you make the most of every moment.